The final project for Digital Libraries required us to create a small prototype of a digital library, utilizing a platform of our choosing. I had taken a class on Drupal at DHSI 2014, so I was very excited to see what I could create using the platform.

I envisioned Jumeoni as a library of media relating to expat life in Seoul, Korea, where I spent several years teaching English. The project was designed to allow users to contribute their media (text, images, audio, and video) via a Creative Commons license, with later implementation of social features such as commenting or sharing. The site is organized mainly by location – the map on the front page would eventually a be a graphic that allows users to click through to media organized by the city district (gu) from which it originates. Users can also browse media by type.

I am very much a beginner when it comes to Drupal, so a lot of the work that went into building this site was on the back end – first in determining how I was going to organize the information, and then configuring the modules and their properties to make sure everything worked properly. In particular, I was very proud of myself when I finally managed to get the audio and video modules to work correctly. Cosmetically, the site is far from what I would like, but theming is not an area of Drupal that I have much experience with as yet.

Another important part of the site for me was making sure that everything was open source and compatible with existing standards. Drupal is open source, but I also chose to use the Creative Commons license system for the media uploads. The project requirements also included a metadata component, so I created a small schema/set of guidelines for the project based on the Dublin Core Element Set.

The completed prototype is available at jumeoni.siobhainrivera.com for browsing. It currently only contains a few items, but the project information pages give a better overview of my vision for the project if it were to be implemented.